Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2010

Video: Jay-z x Swizz Beatz-on to the next one

Yawwwwwnnnn. No hate, because Jay is one of my 3 favorite MC's ever, but since the "retirement," and comeback, his swag hasn't nearly been on the same tilt. Sure, he married arguably the richest, hottest, most talented young singer out there, and he's a regular in Forbes and all that, but this is where purists (like me) have problems: THE MUSIC JUST ISN'T AS GOOD AS IT USED TO BE. Case in point: The Blueprint 3. It had a few things going for it: Highly anticipated (especially after the first 2), first Jay album in a while, and rumors of great callabos (Drake anyone?). Long story short, it was praised and sold well in this watered down musical climate, but I feel like Jay is getting worse and worse. DONT GET ME WRONG. I like this album (though its a solid 9th place in Jay's catalog) but songs like this turn me OFF. To me, Swizz Beats should NEVER speak. EVER. So a Swizz Beats hook is NOT HOT. EVER. His beats? Usually GREAT, he has a tremendous body of work. This boils down to being a poppy club song with a good beat, catchy sample, horrible hook/bridge, subpar rhymes. Add a weird video, with (to me) only a few cool visuals, overall it's a FAIL. Check it for yourself, and let me know if I'm crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment